Thursday, August 25, 2011

Another step further into the cloud - expanding use of Google Voice





I received a letter in the mail earlier this week indicating that the AT&T mobile numbers and account numbers for all IBM employees (myself included) had been inadvertently published to the Internet. Lovely! One of AT&T's remedies was to offer a free phone # change to anyone affected.  I thought to myself, time to make some lemonade from their data breach lemons.

I took this as an opportunity to make my break to fully using Google voice. I already had GV forwarding to my mobile phone and have been using it as the voicemail service in lieu of AT&T voicemail, but lots of folks call or text me directly on my phone. The new mobile # is a clean start. I now give out just my Google voice number, which supports voice and text and selective forwarding (to my mobile, Vonage business line, or whatever). 

The google voice app works nicely on my iPhone and iPad and I'm trying out the free VoiceMac app on my Macbook pro. Loving that voice and text are now everywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment