Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Passing of a Dear Friend

It was cold and grey as I set out to bury my best friend. The frozen ground held firm and the old rusty shovel head broke. I grabbed a hand trowel and continued to dig, scooping the cold damp earth out of the hole with my bare hands. My dog Balder and cat Meriadoc sat quietly alongside the growing mound of dirt. Thin roots from the nearby aspen trees snaked in along the edges of the open grave. As I opened the small box containing my late companion, the smell of death filled my nostrils. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I placed her small, furry body into the earth. Balder sniffed at her, then laid down with his head between his paws, his silent goodbye given. The wind quietly rustled the aspen leaves as I scooped the rich soil over her with my stiff hands.

My dear Tribble -- thank you for 14 years of loyalty and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment