Saturday, November 13, 2010

Geek-to-fit: Day 1

Weigh in: 233

I'm using some cool tools with the new effort. Being a technophile, I find that to be a major source of motivation. Tracking my weight, diet and exercise with My Fitness Pal (on iPad). Using Nike+ to track run distance and time (and therefore calories). Both of these post automatically to Facebook so my friends can keep me accountable.

Food-wise, I'm leveraging some Arbonne Figure 8 tools to help keep my calorie count down while keeping nutrition up and abating hunger as I adjust. Their chocolate protein shake makes a good low-cal lunch at 170 calories. The diet snack chews taste like tootsie rolls and provide 30 calories and some great hunger-control between meals. Finally, the fizzy drink tablets (tasty Pomegranite) replace my usual after run glass of Soy Milk with a 10 calorie water-based drink while still providing some protein and nutrients to help with run recovery.

So on to how the day went.

Started off the day with my regular weekly architect review board meeting at Einstein Bros. Bagels. I find this to be a good venue, as they have healthy, low-cal offerings like their Bagel Thin sandwiches with egg whites.

I had meetings to attend over lunch, so I really appreciated the ease of an Arbonne shake instead of going out to fetch fast food or making something in the kitchen. A couple chews in the afternoon kept me going.

The challenge ... I went to Starbucks with my daughter Brittany so we could go review and update the family calendar over a latte. Wanted an eggnog latte, but knew they would be very high calorie count, so I sized it down to a Grande instead of my usual Venti and asked for nonfat milk. Would have also gotten sugar free syrup (the combination makes a "skinny" latte), but the EggNog latte is made with actual eggnog instead of syrup. Decided to go ahead and splurge, but was later floored to see the calorie count of this version of the drink still weighed in at 480. It was tasty, but not really worth it. I expect I'll be going with regular coffee next time. A small price to pay for fitness.

Dinner was Chili Mac. Portion control was key here. 1c and 1/2c serving spoons are great for this. Thanks to My Fitness Pal, I was able to see my remaining calories for the day and determine an appropriate portion size. I was also able to put in some exercise to estimate the calories I would be credited so I could finish the day within my calorie goal. It was nice to make informed decisions about what and how much to eat. I felt more in control than ever before. Clearly calories consumed and calories expended are levers I can pull to steer toward my goals.

The day was full and I didn't get in my planned morning run, so I decided to head out about 8:30pm to get some miles in. Set Nike+ on my iPhone for 3.1 miles and headed out. I was encouraged by the fact that in spite of keeping my calories down for the day, I still had plenty of energy. I was setting a solid pace. Then it happened. At about 1.45 miles, I was crossing a patch of leaves that covered the sidewalk. I caught the edge of the sidewalk and turned my ankle badly. I yardsaled. It must have looked spectacular to passers-by. I got up, but couldn't put any substantial weight on my left ankle. I limped the 2 1/2 blocks home, despondent. As my ankle began to swell (even iced), it occurred to me that this was one of the things that threw me off track earlier this year. I'm clearly going to have to find some other ways to get my cardio training while my ankle heals. That's okay, though. It's a minor roadblock and I am highly motivated.

The journey continues tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment